Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cochlear Implant stuff

Brrr weee it's cold outside! In the summer we have heat then we have the humidity which makes the heat worse. Today we have cold then it's a wet cold from the thunderstorms that came through last night and it's a wet cold tonight!

We just got in for a banquet honoring the PTA presidents and volunteers. Our school district smoked the awards! Every other award given was to "Sylvan Hills". Terri won Volunteer of the Year! WAY TO GO TERRI! She works so hard for that school.

Ok, the CI stuff. The music is still not where it should be. ITune music through the laptop just doesn't cut it. I'm planning to return the jack to get a different one. It's lose and I have to get it just right but it shorts and it's going to bite my computer. I just use my Unitron cord to my hearing aid. If you are considering a hearing, Unitron is the way to go. Love those things! If it's a CI you are after, consider Advanced Bionics.

Saturday night Dan was at the building working on the sound system for the auditorium at church while I loaded and ran through the visuals. He installed a different sound board and needed some sound to come through so I rolled over a countdown that had music in the background. I was blown away how crisp the sound was and I was only receiving it through the CI. The speakers are Frazier. Unbelievable!!!! I hope I can find some of these someday. I had crank it up and down really soft. I was in awe! It was the first time I had heard sound through a electronic format that clear!

I turn off my hearing aid and listen just through the CI on the way to and from work so I will say the radio is getting better. I try and listen to stations where I don't know the songs so I can work on listening better. To me when you know what the words and the tune is then it's sort of cheating because you already know. With songs you don't know, it's a learn a new song lesson.

I did have a mapping the other day. I pushed a few more mid tones. I seemed to have freaked out my Audio (Jordan) because I love the program where both mics are on because I hear in surround sound. They advise to have the CI set at the 12 o'clock setting and I usually have mine at 8 or 9 o'clock. 12 was too loud. So now it's set for my 9 o'clock to be the 12 o'clock. They say it's to be able to turn it down. Ok CI guys, what do y'all do when something is too loud... yep, me too... we reach up and push the magnet off and no sound. (Jordan and Krista are rolling their eyes right now... money is on that one!) HA!

They did give me a test in the booth with the sentences. Aced that puppy! 100% Then she gave me one with one syllable words and wind noise. Hated it and bombed! She told me beforehand that it would be hard and it was. Sort of driving with the windows down. Ticked me off to no end but then she explained that she had to make it really hard so when I come back in 3 months we can see how that has improved.

To me it's so hard to believe that it continues to get better. Better than this? Cricket!!!

There are so many times a day that I am still blown away by this Advanced Bionics product. One of the favorite sounds is a walk in the rain and listening to the rain hitting the umbrella. It's a magic sound. And anything with a high pitch I love! I've missed those sounds for over 5 years and it's so nice to hear them again. Still in awe over being able to hearing birds while riding at bike at 18 mph.

Oh yeah, speaking of bikes, actually helmets, does any of my CI blog readers have any suggestions on how to keep the mag in place with a helmet? Does that toupee tape really work? I'm good to go when I wear a cap or toboggan but if I wear just the helmet it's a pain. I heard it go off the other day while riding and when I finally stopped the thing was hanging on the chin strap. Gee whiz, I could have lost it then would have had to retrace 7 miles.

Well, I've bored you enough tonight....

Life is soooo good!!

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Music is the hardest, I am surprise you don't use your direct connect with your IPOD, you are directly connected to your implant and sounds SOOOO much better. Are you practicing?

You neglected to tell us the the score of the words :) It has to be better then the before the implant!

Since I am a woman, I keep my magnet on :)