Monday, October 24, 2005

I want to be a TEXAN!

Austin, Texas! What a town! I would move there in a heartbeat if the weather was like it was this past weekend. My nephew Jim lives just outside of there and I’ve heard him talking about the heat but still what a town! Everyone was very friendly and laid back.

We got to Austin about 6 and got checked in to the Embassy Suites and it was a really nice hotel! Super staff! After unloading we got directions to the Oasis restaurant. Now that’s a cool place if there was one. There are 40 decks and it’s where Austin goes to watch the sunset and now I know why! What a view! I had fish taco’s that were the best! I ordered mind without peppers and Rance didn’t. He also didn’t have any liquid in front of him except a rum and diet coke so he had to suffer until the waiter returned. It was worth it! The boy was sweating! We got back to the hotel and Rance has what’s called Papaw syndrome. He goes to bed very early. 9 o’clock on Friday night in Austin Texas and he’s ready for bed. It gets worse too! Saturday night he was in bed by 8:30 and Sunday night by 7:30. I kid you not. I played nice and watched TV and read a book.

Saturday morning we watched some of the crit races going on downtown and in the shade with the wind blowing through the buildings it was a little nippy but I love the races! We then went over to Livestrong village and picked up our packets and wandered through the expo. Lots of cool stuff.

Saturday evening was carb up at Macroni Grill. I had some chicken and portabello dish that was great!

Sunday was up early and out to the ride. Austin is at the late end of central time zone so it wasn’t sunrise till 7:30. It was really cool because when we were going out there you could see the event way off from the interstate. I told Rance it reminded me of Field of Dreams when they finally see the lights of the baseball field. What made it funnier was after we turned off the interstate it was a hill and a single file line of car lights. They built it and we came!

So Lance Armstrong spoke for a minute and then the ride started. My group didn’t get released for almost 30 minutes after the start. It takes a while to get 7,000 bikes out on the road safely. The first 20 miles was just a trail to see if you hit anyone. I was never really by myself until about 75 miles into the ride. Even then I could always see people.

I had a couple of flats. The first one at about 60 miles and the second around 82. I was working on the second when the support assistance crew came by. They were everywhere and always ready to help if you needed them. I really bummed out mentally on the second one because I was working toward a time to finish and I was going to go way over. And all the people I worked so hard to pass were all passing me while I changed the tube.

I made it to the almost to the end and then we had to turn and go up a hill into the area where the finish line was and as I turned a gust of wind, which I heard was 30 miles per hour, was hitting me directly head on! A hill and the wind!

But after the flats and the brutal wind there was a welcome that I’ll never forget! As I turned the final turn I heard a lot of folks cheering and I thought to myself that there must be a cancer survivor coming through but when I looked around, I was the only one there! All these folks were cheering for ME!!! They were holding their hands out for high hands, ringing cow bells and really making it a memory ending!

… and for that I say, THANK YOU AUSTIN!

No comments: