Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day 2006

Up at 6, showered, ate waffles, checked weather, and on the bike by 7. I took a few moments to watch a few of the soldier stories on TV this morning and told God thanks and to continue to watch over our guys.

My ride took me from the house to the river via North Hills Blvd. A very quite morning out. I think I might have seen 3 cars between my house and the river. Got down there and could see a couple of riders on the road and I figured the park would still be closed. The trailer for the NASCAR National Guard car was out there as was the SPAM truck. At the entrance of the North Shore park it was nasty! They were hauling everything out including trash and it smelled like a dump!

On down the road I jumped up on the river trail and for 7:20 in the morning on a holiday it was busy! I saw a group with the leader wearing a Chainwheel jersey heading around the bend and thought they might be headed to Scott but saw them again on the return. There were a lot of folks on comfort style bikes tootling along enjoying the morning. Most were without helmets.

As I was heading down the hill and into the forest I noticed a guy, actually noticed him a ways back, and he looked like a cyclist and I could tell from behind he was on one of the Giant OCR bikes with the cool red/black frame. He was in his big ring, big gear the whole time. He was moving along about 16-18mph but it was an interesting exercise.

I past a few others including some friends from church and shut it down at Cook's. Slurped down a gel and water then started heading back. I saw the rider on the Giant and invited him to ride with our group. Then I realized who the guy was. Let me rephrase that, I know where he lives. There is a cool looking house on North Hills that belongs to an Asian family and there are always hot looking cars parked there and one has a bike rack on top. That was this guy. I don't know who they are but the guy was friendly.

On the way back down the trail I just took my time and enjoyed the morning changing off to a detour here and there. I'd played enough and returned the the trail to head home. Saw Kyle coming my way. Figured he and the "brotherhood" would have been riding today. They don't seem to like to ride with me much anymore saying I ride way to fast for them, which is pure bagged cow manure from Home Depot.

Back through the nasty park entrance and headed toward N Hills again. There is a short stretch where I have to go through a lower income housing area and this morning several were sitting out on their porches. I gave 'em the big howdy and most waved back. Honest, I don't care about the type of neighborhood but when you say hi to someone sitting on their porch 9 times out of 10 they will respond in a nice way. That's what front porches were built for wasn't it? Not just cool looking stuff from Pier One.

Turned off on Justin Matthews Drive to enjoy the yards and beautiful homes for a moment. I have a coworker that lives in one of these homes but not sure where.

Came up to the light at the entrance of Lakewood Village. I love riding through here before all the stores open. Folks were dusting off their welcome mats, sleepy eyed workers getting out of their cars wishing they hadn't stayed out so late last night. Just a community coming to life.

Then I got to ride my favorite return home drop... yep, on North Hills. Nothing is more fun then getting to ride up to the red light, turn right and drop down the hill! There was a couple on the walking path at the bottom of the hill and as I hunched down playing "Mr. wannbe Pro rider gets areo dynamic" (HA!) they started clapping and cheering me! Buh-ha-ha-ha! I was laughing when I rode past. I looked down and had a nice 36mph ride going! Woo Hooo! Of course that dropped to about 16 by the time I got over the next incline. There's a short recovery area and then the road drops just enough to get a go 20+ ride going again that can take you all the way to the intersection at N. Hills and JFK. Usually by the time I get to that intersection I have some charge going on and if the light is not red, it rocks going through there. Another short drop and weeee around the curve and onto Oakridge we go. From here on it's uphill all the way till almost my house but it's a fun uphill. Once up there I get to ride level for about 100 yards to the house.

Got home and cooled off out on the front porch. A couple of neighborhood runners came by and waved. See there's that front porch waving thing going on again.

It was a good morning!

No comments: