Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Mid week madness!

I just thought this art was a hoot! It's actually from the Chainwheel (www.chainwheel.com) bike shop home page. Where does Pat and Bruce find this stuff?

Last nights group ride was a blast and a half! I parked at Burn's Park so I could ride a few miles to the start and feel warmed up. We had a nice sized group and I thought with the absence of Patrick and Robb the ride would be a tad slower. HA! Yeah right! We rode along at about 20 then 21 then over the bridge into Little Rock and then 22. Oh man, I had to pull at 22. I did ok for a bit and then noticed I dropped to 21 then to 20 and knew I needed to move over. The paceline passed along and for some weird reason I suddenly blew. I could not catch up. They got smaller and smaller. I kept thinking the next group would be here shortly but no one. I could still see my guys and as they got close to the new bridge there was a split. Some headed up Overlook. I turned and headed that way myself only to look up a few minutes later (yes, I did start to catch up) but it wasn't my group. It happened to be a few Carve riders training on the hill. I push my fat tail on up and up the hill and told myself "yeah baby" at the top. I let 'er rip on the way down. As I got to the bottom and hung a left I felt great! I finally met up with the guys and I was a little too proud to tell them I had just climbed Overlook. Several of the ones that started one the LR side were going to climb it now. I thought about doing it again but instead choose to stay with the group. We rode along at a nice pace and Wayne got to the front and began to pull and it was a perfect 20 miles per hour. We never went up or down. Great pull Wayne! As we came back over the Broadway Bridge we split up a little and I somehow ended up a couple hundred yards ahead (trust me, it wasn't because I was riding that fast!) and as I rode by the road to Ft Roots I turned and lo and behold I climbed it. I was really enjoying the ride! I solo'ed back to Cook's mainly to let everyone know I was fine. Our group is close knit and if someone drops, we check on them. So I said my goodby's and rode back to Burn's Park.

You know, some days you just get lucky to really have it in you and you have a great ride. Today was that day for me.

Other news:
Emily got her hard copy of her drivers license and the restriction was lifted. She is a real auto driver now. So that means I will be using my bike to get to work more now! I'm not complaining one bit!

Terri's folks arrived yesterday from Navarre, Florida for the long weekend and brought me a killer birthday present!! 8 lbs of fresh shrimp! Shrimp boil for the family at the house tomorrow night! Woo Hoooo!

No comments: