Saturday, August 05, 2006

Oinking and riding.

A beautiful cool morning just outside of Conway. Mist rising from the valley.


The ABC group got to ride with for a while.


The rest stop was manned by the Adkins 4H group. There was another little girl that was out on the road making sure all the riders were taken care of with water, cookies and fruit.

Below are some storm damage photos.



I've got to stop doing these early morning weekend rides. I woke at 4am and worried I'd not wake up in time to get to the ride this morning. Thing didn't even start until 8:30. We were to meet at Cooks Landing at 7 and carpool up there. The parking lot at Cooks was packed at 7 but not all of those folks were riding the Oink. We sae Monty, Jess and Tim out there getting ready to ride out to England.

We all piled into the cars and trucks with bikes mounted we looked cool. Very team-ish. HA! Heading out to the main road we turned and a tool box goes a flying and tools everywhere. Several cars stop and pick them all up. Wayne had left the box on his bumper while searching for a tool for Keith. Back on the road in 5 minues or less.

I was hoping Yale was going to spot the Starbucks in Conway but no luck.

Into Morrilton we go through the drive through at Mc D's and on over to the ride. Lots of bikes out there. We head over to the registration table and I had sent in my check a couple of weeks ago so I didn't have to stand in line but for a second. I got my goodie bag and began to walk back to Keiths truck when him and Paul Phillips (as in Dr. Phillips at ACH). I opened the bag and awwww now this is crap-o-la Morrilton! I mean ready come on! It was an ugly heather gray sleeveless tshirt and you couldn't even see the logo. Only 4 sponsors on the back. Nothing else in the bag. So lame Pig Out organizers.

So we all head to the start point and everyone seems in a good mood and there are jeresys from everywhere. We take off and there is a big mixture of rider types and styles. The lead group is gone and after a few miles we spread out and FGSG's began to form a paceline. Looking good but we were running up on slow riders that where ahead at the start and it was causing so slow down speed ups. There were a couple of times I just went over in the other lane to pass folks. All systems go.

We rode awhile and I kept having a weird feeling something was wrong with my bike. It doesn't seem to have the smooth roll I like. I check the brakes and nothing rubbing. Guess it's just me. We turn and take the hills and again, there is something wrong in Denmark. I began dropping. What on earth is going on with my riding this year? My mind goes into the "am I sick?", "Is the bike broke?" Sadly I got out of the pace line and watched the club whiz on by. It hurt that I was dropping. What is the difference between this ride and the ride I felt 200% even with the wreck on July 1st. Other than the hills? It's not making sense but I continue riding. A few other groups that I had passed are now passing me. Their thoughts are something like, "Yep, you shot out of the cannon too fast and now your paying." I found another group of older guys (actually guys my age) and they were pacing at 17-18. Ah, now that was a lot better. We enjoyed conversation while keeping the pace steady. Some other guy were waiting on them so they stopped and I rode on.

I jumped on groups here and there but never got back in the groove I needed so I rode solo. At time I would rde slow just to see if anyone else would come along and I'd jump on their train but no such luck. I got to the rest stop manned by the Adkins 4-H club. Nice folks and they worked hard for the riders. Ian, Will, Denise, Ian, Holly, Diane (JBar's wife) all came riding up as I was about to leave. I was glad to see them. We all left together and the pace was 18 most of the time. We were moving along nice then for crying out loud, I was blowing again. What now I kept asking myself. Was this a mental ride? I was dropping out in the milo fields. Diane had dropped too. The group was getting smaller out on the horizon. I rode solo from here on in. As I came to Morriton I was beginning to notice tree limbs on the ground here and there. The closer I got to the city the more there were then there were trees down and folks working in their yards and folks just sitting on their porches. No power. I stopped to talk a photo in front of a house and a lady came out with her 2 little scotty dogs. She said that they are saying straight line winds but the neighborhood thinks it's a tornado. I beleive her. She said she was on her way back from Mississippi and had to drive through it 2 different times. She said it was rough. I asked if her home was ok and her family and all was good but no power. I told her the power trucks were just around the bend and they were working. That made her smile. I felt sorry for them and I hope things get back to normal soon. It's a pretty neighorhood.

I rolled in going about 11 mph. I was just glad to be done. I wheeled over to get a finish line drink and there were a couple of cups and a water cooler?! I guess the pigs got to there first. Man that was bad because there are still a lot of folks out on the ride that haven't come in yet. Once again the Pig Out organizers could have done a better job.

Keith told me my back wheel was out of true which means it's bent. I took it over to Arkansas Cycle and Fitness and it will be getting the cleaning as well so I'll be set for Texas.

Keith and I headed back to LR and both of us were planning to eat and nap. He said he was gong to work in his yard and I wa actually going to do some stuff outside but after I woke up Terri had bought me a late lunch when she and Em came in from shopping and Tyler came over soon after and he showed me some thricks for Photoshop. I have just gotten this software and knew some but he was blowing my mind with his skills. I can't wait to play with it and design some really cool stuff.

No comments: