Wednesday, August 02, 2006

With a Rebel Yale we are gone gone gone....

Hey everyone! This is Yale. I ride with Geo. Actually I pull his lazy tail for miles and miles. I hacked into his blog and since he hasn't posted last night's ride report I figured I'd do it myself.

2007-08-01 Tuesday’s Great Ride!
I’ve always been amazed at the quality of people in cycling and this group is exceptional.
We had some complaints both inside and outside of our group about the lead-out being a race. We brought the issue to the surface and every one of you responded magnificently.
Outstanding…Thank You Very Much – You Make Me Proud to be apart of this group!
Before the start of the ride we addressed these very important issues/events:
Safety – It’s important for us during the lead-out to maintain an 18-22 mph pace line thru the forest past Burns Park. This allows us to see the traffic along the River Trial and for all the families to see us.
Hotter N Hell 100 T shirts for $5…Yep but you have to bring your own WHITE T shirt and give it to Becca McIntyre. Tuesday the 8th is cut off for you to bring your money and T Shirt.
MS 150 – Rebecca Irons is leading the charge on one of the greatest cycling events in Arkansas and it is all for a great cause. Fast Girls Slow Guys has set largest team as its goal and we are prepared to hammer down on membership. If you want to join one of the most Fun & Friendly (I’m not sure how serious we are) social clubs for the MS150 please contact our team captain Rebecca Irons at libra2relaxu@yahoo.com
New Folks – Darrell brought two new folks to the club and one of them is going to Hotter N Hell with us.
When we left Cooks Landing we had 27 folks with many of our core off golfing, schooling, and vacationing. The start of the ride was exceptional and the pace line (18-22mph) was perfect. I would hug & kiss each and every one of you but I would probably enjoy it way more than any of you!
Once we got to the designated stopping area (aren’t those shade trees great-it’s like God made that place for us to stop and rest) before we go over the Broadway Bridge as a group. I kept thinking everyone had arrived but they just kept coming and by the time we hit Little Rock we were up in the mid thirties as to the number of folks riding tonight. This is amazing and exciting for our group.
Now for the good stuff:
We had Hunter & Liz ride with us tonight…you talk about Fast Girls N Guys…Now I’m getting excited!
Anyway, we stroll through the city of Little Rock, the baseball park, and then we line out the pace line. It’s going to be fun…Patrick does his "I got to be first" like he is shot out of cannon thing and off we go. The front group is clipping along at 27, now 28, (JBar & Rhen close the gap) oops I got to switch gears (dang I brought my old bike with down shifters and forgot to go up instead of down to change to the right gear) and off Liz, Hunter, our new guy Jason Gates, and the front of the pace line GOOOOOOOOOO… Jason told me later they were up to 32 but I didn’t get to be any part of that fun.
Anyway, I decided to slow roll it a bit and a few folks came by me and I let them go. Then, Alison (these new people are just killing me with the talent they have) comes by and says come on Yale…so here I go. She cruises along and then it’s my time to pull. I’m thinking I’m doing her a favor. We are getting closer to Overlook she goes around me and starts pounding out 22 plus and I’m just a hanging on….You Go Fast Girl!
We stop for awhile and wait on Dr. Mark to show for the drinks…we wait & wait, & wait! I finally give him a call and he doesn’t answer. I leave him a message that we are all concerned (not so much about him) but that if he doesn’t show we won’t get our drinks! He has spoiled us! He and Keith leave from the other side about 5pm and meet us at Cooks. Dr. Mark bringing water, Gatorade, and chocolate has turned out to be one of the best parts of the ride! He finally shows up with this "Somebody Had A Flat Story". So he passes out all the goodies and everybody is having fun with some great drinks. Dr. Mark, we can’t tell you how much we appreciate you doing this for us! If you have not donated to Dr. Mark, please do. This cost at least $20 each time we ride to the other side.
John has a flat so while we are waiting on him to fix the back tire JBar, Rhen, a few other folks head up Overlook. I mentioned to the Fast Folks to go on and we would catch up. I guess they thought I was kidding because no one moved…do you really think we couldn’t catch ya?
Off we go (this is going to be even more fun), we are all lined out in the pace line but no one is really wanting the lead. I keep waiting for Liz, Patrick, or Hunter…somebody to take off. Then this Lisa (itry4fun) girl takes off, then Patrick, then Liz…we are rolling and before I know it I’m in the middle of a three wide peloton. Oh what fun it is to ride on the inside of one of those!
Anyway once we get to the end, I wave and bid Liz a good farewell…Thanks for riding with us!
I stop to wait on Geo, Becca & Marvin. This is the first time this year I get to ride with Marvin so I wanted to spend some time with him. So the three of us along with John and Charles play sweep on the way back to Cooks. JBar wanted the job but I told him we could handle it.
I have a flat on the way back and that takes awhile. We get to see the sun way low while we ride back along the River Trial. It was really a nice pace and reminded me of when the group first started when the talent level was for old folks.
When I get back to Cooks I see our social club just talking and having fun. It’s a great site. Jenny had brought some drinks for the crew and as she was driving off said someone gave her five dollars. I yelled out that they had left it for me. She turns and looks into her seat…then back to me. Oh, it just flew out the window and off she goes grinning from ear to ear! What a funny honey!
Anyway we stand around and talk some more and Patrick is trying to convince me Wayne was the first one back…I’m still not sure but later Wayne came over and said that he was…Wayne if you were the first one back congratulations…You’ve come a long way BABY!!!
We miss some of our core folks tonight. I finally look at Patrick and tell him I think our group is becoming codependent. He agrees it’s a good thing, we giggle, and off we go!
Thanks for being apart of Fast Girls Slow Guys,
Yale

No comments: