Monday, July 17, 2006

Back to the grind

As Terri and I riding to work this morning I told her I had the, "I don't wanna go back to work after vacation" blues. It didn't last too long. I was working away and didn't look up until 11. Fast morning! Now I'm going to wish for a fast afternoon. I've got a lot of stuff to do around the house when I get home.

I rode a very hot afternoon ride ysterday and we were going to do 70 miles but ended up with 32 due to the hot temps and hotter heat index. Funny part about the ride was that we rarely start our Tues/Thurs night rides at the 6 pm start time so when i got to the start point and I saw them leaving the parking lot I looked at the clock and it was 1:01. They were heading over to Gators where I told them I would be but I lucked into getting the car so I had driven to the real start point. I had to push it to try and catch 'em. As I came down one of the bridges I saw a bike right behind me and it was Jenny so we worked together (windy conditions) and could pretty much keep the guys in our view. I told her they think I'm at Gators so we could slow a bit because we would be heading into a long afternoon of endurance riding. We got there just after they did and the group decided against the windy hot farmland ride.

On the way back Yale was behind me and Wayne in front and I noticed Wayne looking back then stopping as I ride by. I went on over the Broadway bridge and stopped and waited and waited thinking man, what happened to those two. I rode back to the bridge and no one in sight. You know how you have bad thoughts at times like this? I was starting to have them. I lost them and there was only one way off the bridge. Yep, I thought Yale and Wayne held hands and jumped off the bridge. Ok, maybe not. There is actually 2 ways off the bridge... the other is the Cantrell exit. That insane posse took the exit and rode Cantrell! Yes, folks, Yale and Wayne really did it! They probably popped a wheelie going down the ramp too! HA!

At the end of the ride was a nice freezing cooler full of bottled water. Thanks Yale man! Oh man did it feel good going down! Yale even poured one over my head and I could feel it going down my spine. I thought I was going to dance like a hootchie-cootchie girl. HA!

I knew I needed to get back to go to a going away party for a friend that I had completly forgotten about so I turned down the trip to Starbucks. I could have slammed a Java Chipp Frap!

Oh man, did you see the stage from yesterday's Tour de France. That wreck??? Oh man oh man! Kyle had told me there was a bad wreck then I stopped him. Then I asked if it was the front group. Then I stopped him. Then I asked if Floyd was a part of it. Then I stopped him.
I got home from the party a few minutes before it happened on the replay show. I knew there was a guard rail involved so everything I saw a guard rail I would hold my breath. Then it happened. Whoa! That was horrible! This will be one of the crashes they will show over and over. If you missed it watch OLN tonight since it's a rest day they will be doing a recap and I promise they will show it. Tomorrow's race will be one to watch... THE APLS!!! The toughest mountain climb in the race.

Well, lunch is over so back to work for me. If you're out today, drink water and be careful!

No comments: