Friday, July 14, 2006

Was it a Woohoo or a omigosh or a clean your britches moment?

I didn't wake up until 7 this morning and was on my bike cruising the back roads of Branson by 7:45. It was a perfect morning much like we had in Little Rock a week or so ago. Very nice, low humid and a slight breeze at times. The sky was dark blue like we have in April when a cold front comes through and it was painted with cotton white clouds here and there.

As I rolled out to the parking lot to check the gear several guys came up and started talking all the usual nice bike, where ya goin'?, lots of hills around here sort of conversations. I enjoyed talking with them. Just nice folks enjoying their vacation.

M plan was once again to try to ride the hill to Silver Dollar City but that just won't happen. At 8 there was a steady stream of cars heading to that hill so I decided to ride out to Table Rock. I rode the back road (Yellow Route) to Celebration City and then headed out. Nothing but hills then I came to a slap my and hide my clothes sort of climb... 19% grade! Mentally I'm telling myself that I am a climber and can conquer any climb and by the time I got to the top I'm pouring sweat (now didn't I just say it was a nice cool morning?! HA!) At the top I turned to climb a tad more and I could see the lake way down below. It was actually a really nice drop down to the lake but cars were coming and going. Several stuck their hands out the window to give me a thumbs up. I love it when folks do that. Great encouragement. Anyway, I turned and stopped for a second and turned around and starting climbing again.

Here's where the story gets cool/insane/stupid/crazy/whatever. I got back to the 19% grade but this time it's to go d-o-w-n. I laughed and clicked over to my highest gear and yelled Hi0o0 Silver and away! Faster and faster then panic. I mean sheer panic and fear. I'm moving faster than I have ever had and it it's not fun anymore. Serious, I thought this was going to put me in the room next to Matt. I starting the brakes. Appiled the back a couple times, then the front and went back and forth. I could smell the brakes. I mean I could really smell the rubber. I knew I was about to blow from the rims getting too hot and exploding a tube. It was meant to be bad. So I used force on the back and got slowed down enough to comfortably unclip my shoe in case of crash. Finally I slow down and stop. Still a little bit of the hill to go. I hope off the bike and touch the back rim which is very hot. I spin the wheels to cool them. After a few minutes I feel good to go. I had a great ride back to the condo and my parents said "Did you ride with that green and yellow guy? I made me wonder if Doc Phonak was up here for the weekend? I have seen several road bikes on cars and trucks up here.

I walked in to smell a great breakfast being cooked and showered real quick and ate with Terri and mom and Dad out of the balcony. It is just so nice this morning!

So Terri asked me how far I went and I nevered did check. I hopped up to go look at my bike computer and it was 36.7 miles. Nice distance. Then I clicked to see other stats and stopped and just dumbfoundly looked then looked again and then once more. Top speed... 56.7 mph!!! Personal fastest. Where was the cop with the radar gun? Seems cool huh... well, I'm not dooing it again! HA! Oh that was soooo insane.

Terri just came through and told me I was going shopping with her so later folks!

No comments: